Pune - 15
A position in the area of software development in CAD, AI
or optimization in mechanical component design.
UNIVERSITY / INSTITUTION
%MARKS / CGPA
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
B. Tech. (Mech)
Scholars Home, Dehradun (UP)
Delhi Public School, Hardwar (UP)
Worked in the field of Optimization using Genetic Algorithms. The major
contributions in this field is incorporating discrete variables also in
the search optimization process. This has saved a lot of computational
time, and the algorithm is tried on various engineering problems like Gear
Train design, Pressure Vessel design, Welded Beam Problem, Spring Design
Problem. Other fields of interest are AI, neural nets and CAD. Somebody try me!
- "A Combined Genetic Adaptive Search (GeneAS)
For Engineering Design" : Paper sent for publication in
the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
(), Journal of Mechanical Design in Feb
1996; in July 1997.
- "A Combined Genetic Algorithm For Engineering
Design" : Paper sent for publication in the
Journal of Complex Systems Informatics ()
in June 1996 , .
- "A mixed algorithm for solving Engineering
Design Problems": Paper sent for publication to the International
Conference on Genetic Algorithm () in
January 1997; in March
C++, FORTRAN, PASCAL, BASIC, X-Windows Programming
AutoCAD Re.12, ProEngineer, Cadds5
Unix, Windows 95/NT, SunOS
- Worked in Computer Aided Design Project, I.I.T, Kanpur as a Project Fellow. During this period, I have successfully
contributed to the project, "Development
of an Optimal Design Software using Genetic Adaptive Search".
This project was sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology.
- In addition to the above mentioned papers in which I am a co-author,
I have helped Dr. Deb, Assistant Prof., Mech. Engg. in another paper related
to optimization in engineering design which was sent to an international
journal "Evolutionary Computations"
for publication in May 1996.
- For some industrial experience, I have worked on an Industrial problem
"Design of an optimal Temperature Profile
for a Furnace " which was
sponsored by TISCO.
- Worked on Optimization using Genetic Algorithms with Dr. Deb - The
chief aim of the work was to find a "Better
way of handling constraints" in an optimization procedure,
so as to avoid distortion of the function and the search space.
- Worked on "Multiobjective Optimization"
using Genetic Algorithms. We had taken up two engineering problems - Thrust
Bearing Design and Belleville Spring Design problem each having two objectives
to be optimized.
- Designed and fabricated a "Joystick Controlled
Powered Wheel Chair". This work was started as a summer
project in May '95 under the guidance of Dr. Sudipto Mukherjee (Ass. Prof.,
Robotics Lab., Mechanical Engg. Deptt., IIT-Kanpur)
- My B.Tech. Project involved design and fabrication of a "Hydraulic
Actuator Test Set-up" for ground test of the hydraulic
actuators (used in the aircrafts) simulating the various parameters like
mass, inertia & stiffness. This was an Industrial project sponsored
by the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., Lucknow.
- My Project on CAD under Dr. Amitabh Mukherjee (Astt. Prof., Mech. Deptt.,
IIT-Kanpur) involved "Shape Optimization
through Fourier Transform of Contours represented in Polar Coordinates".
Field of Interest
- AI, neural nets, robotics.
- Application software development for CAD related applications.
- Optimization mainly using Genetic Algorithms in various Engineering and Industrial Applications.
Professional Courses taken so
- Computer Aided Geometric Design
- Evolutionary Algorithms in Search Optimization
- Optimization Methods in Engineering Design
- Production Technology
- Design of Mechanical Systems
- Design of Machine Elements
- Graphics in Mechanical Design
- Introduction to Manufacturing Processes
- Finite Element Method
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems
- Advanced Topics in Engineering Optimization
- Management of Production Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
Merits and Ranks
- Secured 81% marks in the "First Level
Mathematics Olympiad Contest" for IX class in the year
- Fifth rank in Tenth class at school level.
- First rank in Twelfth class at school level.
- 0553th in the Joint Entrance Exam (J.E.E.) for admission to the IITs.
Other Activities and Achievements
- Awarded prizes for Painting and Drawing at the school level.
- Awarded for Academic Achievement
at School Level for the year 1991-92..
- 9th in the Intra IIT cross country
held in the year 1993.
- Awarded the Best Project for designing and fabricating an "Infinitely
Variable Auto Gear".
- Member of the Student's Film Society in the year 1994-95.
- Security Secretary in the All India Inter Collegiate Cultural Festival,
- Participated actively in the plays and skit in
- Maintenance Secretary of our hall of Residence for the year 1995-96.
- Member of the Organizing Committee in the First All India Technological
Festival, Techkriti 95.
- Coordinator of the Student's TeleVision ( STV) in Techkriti
- Photography Secretary in Culfest 96.
- Helped in organizing a short course on "Optimization
methods in Engineering Design" for O.N.G.C. - Dehradun,
which was held at IIT-Kanpur in May 1996.
- Like Photography, running long distances, cycling, traveling.
- To remain on the cutting edge of technology;
- To be involved in latest developments in the market.
Brief details of the papers and projects carried
out as A Project Fellow and as an Undergraduate
1. Infinitely Variable Auto Gear.
(Project under the course Introduction to Manufacturing Processes)
This project was taken up by a group of five students under the course
TA202. The idea was new. Design and fabrication - all was done mainly by
us. For me, it was the first concept that was brought to reality. It basically
consisted of a centrifugal governor, two discs, bevel gears and some other
small parts. The best thing about the design was that it did not contain
any spur gear. It was Infinitely Variable!
2. Joystick Controlled Powered Wheel Chair.
(Summer Project, Robotics Lab.)
This project was taken as a summer project. It is desired to be made
for handicaps for indoor use. It basically employs two standard batteries,
two motors, linkage mechanism for clutching (when in manual mode) and declutching
(when in power mode) and electronics to control the output of each battery
so as to facilitate easy turning and smooth drive. This project will be
sponsored by ALIMCO, Kanpur.
3. A Combined Genetic Adaptive Search (GeneAS)
for Engineering Design.
(Paper : Authors - Dr. K. Deb and Mayank Goyal, sent to ASME)
This paper deals with a new and an efficient way of handling discrete
type variables in optimization. This algorithm is now famous as GeneAS.
GeneAS greatly reduces the computational time needed to find the optimum.
Various engineering design problems were tried including spring design,
welded beam design, gear train and pressure vessel design. This paper widens
the scope of application of optimization in industries.
4. A Combined Genetic Algorithm for Engineering
(Paper : Authors - Dr. K. Deb and Mayank Goyal, sent to CSI)
This paper deals with optimization in Engineering Design. It deals with
application of some common engineering design problems (like thrust bearing
design) in industries.
5. Development of an Optimal Design Software
using Genetic Adaptive Search.
(Project done as a project fellow, CAD-Project, under Dr. Deb)
This software was developed for Multimodal Optimization. This software
can take two objective functions, which have to be optimized simultaneously.
Various problems related to composites were tried and the results were
6. Design and fabrication of a miniature boat.
(Project done under the course Design of Mechanical Systems)
The aim of the project was to build a fast moving miniature boat which
would deviate the least from the straight path, cross the width of the
swimming pool in shortest time. Our design was different from others. It
was a submarine which would face the minimum wave drag. It was made of
wood; had an elliptical shape; consisted of three motors & 3 hulls
(one main hull and 2 auxiliary hulls which could be adjusted to make the
submarine go in a straight path). It could not win the race, but did very
well ( received a special mention).
7. Shape Optimization using Fourier Transform
(Project under the course Computer Aided Geometric Design)
The aim of this project is to see how a design can evolve from a crude
shape. We would aim at starting with some very simple applications like
finding a shape with constant cross-section area with minimum moment of
inertia. Subsequently, we would try to interface the optimization code
with a FEM package which would find the optimal shape of a stressed object
subject to a reduction in total mass of the material (stress would be the